Donate to the PFAS Emergency Fund
The Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association (MOFGA) and Maine Farmland Trust (MFT) are jointly administering a PFAS emergency fund to support any farm dealing with potential PFAS contamination.
The fund's primary purposes are:
- To help pay for initial PFAS testing on farms that choose to do their own testing.
- To fund wellness costs for impacted farmers.
- To provide short-term income replacement for farms that the Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry (DACF) has identified as having high test results.
- To invest in infrastructural improvements to help PFAS impacted farms remain viable
This fund is meant to serve as a safety net to provide interim support, getting the farms from their initial PFAS testing to when they can access DACF's longer-term PFAS support programs.
This is a much needed lifeline for farms who are facing extreme stress and uncertainty about their futures. In addition to administering the fund, MOFGA and MFT are working collaboratively to:
- Provide technical assistance to impacted farms.
- Support mental health counseling for impacted farms.
- Create communication tools and resources for farms.
- Educate the community about PFAS.
- Advocate to address the root causes of PFAS contamination at the state and federal levels.
Your contribution to this fund will help create a safety net for farms that are testing, and help ensure that we have a safe food supply. Thank you for making a contribution to help support Maine’s farms!
We're deeply grateful to Erin French and The Lost Kitchen for their support of the PFAS Emergency Fund in Spring 2022, which raised nearly $1 million for farms affected by PFAS contamination. If you're looking for information about reservations for The Lost Kitchen for Spring 2023, please visit their website reservations page.